For as long as I can remember, apples have always been a favorite fruit of mine. These bright red wonders have been a constant staple on my salads, snacks, and especially scrumptious desserts. It is safe to say that my pantry is never complete without a bunch of apples inside it. Recently, I decided to get an apple slicer to make cooking them much more comfortable. While this might sound pretty straightforward, finding the perfect apple slicer was actually a far from smooth task.
Some apple slicers that I have tried have literally and figuratively cracked under pressure. The cheaper options break quickly, while some of the more expensive ones aren’t worth their hefty price tag. However, there are devices that stood out for me, and so I have decided to compile a list of the top five apple slicers that you can buy.
Before we start with the best apple slicers out there, allow me to show you why you need to eat apples in your diet. While the old saying that, “An apple a day keeps the doctor away“, is a bit of a cliché, there is some scientific truth to it. Here are the reasons why you should start including this beautiful fruit in your diet:
- Apples have antioxidants that can help you to fight off cellular death caused by oxidation and the inflammation of neurons.
- Apples may help to lower the risk of diseases like Alzheimer’s.
- Studies show that eating a lot of apples lowers the risk of having a stroke.
- Apples can help to lower cholesterol levels.
- Apples can also reduce the risk of getting type 2 diabetes.
- Consuming an apple a day can significantly lower the risk of getting breast cancer.
- Apples contain bioactive compounds that have a beneficial effect on good gut bacteria.
An apple slicer is a great gift for someone who loves apples. If you are looking for ways to maximize the use of your apple slicer, here is a handy list of things you can do with this kitchen tool that I have compiled.
- Apple slices – Snack time can be healthy, delicious, and quick if you have an apple slicer. While a lot of people eat apple slices raw, I love to caramelize them in a pan and sprinkle some cinnamon on top. Yum!
- Apple crostini – Want to liven up your posh party? Then slice some apple and turn it into apple crostini. You bake those apple slices in an oven and top them with the ingredients of your choice. I just love mine with bacon bits and maple syrup drizzles.
- Salad toppers – Sliced apple can do wonders to liven up a dull green salad. Not only does it add an extra zest to the flavor, but it will also add a vibrant red color to make your salad look more tempting.
- Apple sauces and juices – Health fanatics will always tell you that these are always part of their fitness routine. Turning your apples into slices will make it easier for you to blend it in your juicers. Here is an excellent guide for those looking for the best apples for juicing.
- Apple bruschetta – Here is a fantastic and unique dish that will impress others at your dinner parties. Slice some bruschettas and top it with caramelized onions and apple slices. Then grate some light cheese on top of it and melt. My guest’s faces always brighten up when I serve them this dish.
- Apple smoothies – If you freeze some apple slices overnight, you can quickly make fantastic apple smoothies. Here is a great article if you love juicing various vegetables and fruits. It will help you to make your fruit and veggie juices stand out.
- Meat and apple skewers – Get into the tropical island vibe with this refreshing dish. Just skewer some meat and apple slices and then grill it over hot coals. This dish is always a stunner, especially in the summer.
- Apple slaw – This one is an easy yet fantastic dish to serve. Slice some apples and fennel bulbs and mix then them all in a salad bowl, adding the dressing of your choice. The possibilities are quite endless, but I like to keep it light with a sour cream, cilantro, and lime juice dressing.
Convinced about apples? Well if you are, then we can now proceed to the top five apple slicer that you can buy right now.
Image from Amazon.com
Sometimes, the simplest things work best and this device is as simple as it gets when it comes to apple slicers. The handles are comfortable enough when you push down and slice apples. I was a bit skeptical about its precision, but the OXO SteeL Apple Slicer proved me wrong when I tested it, as the product effortlessly sliced through an apple with relative ease.
Another thing I like about this product is that it looks and feels sturdy. This is because the whole body is made from quality stainless steel, except for the rubber part of the grips.
One drawback, however, is the fact that it can only accommodate smaller apples. Another thing that could do with improvement is the elevated handles that are used for a better grip. Overall, this is a solid product and a worthy partner in the kitchen.
- Very easy to clean.
- Has a stylish and sturdy looking stainless steel body.
- Slices and cores apples easily.
- Its rubber handles are of good quality.
- Cannot slice larger apples.
- Its handles could be lifted a little bit more.
Image from Amazon.com
Labeling this device as just a novelty retro kitchenware is doing it a big disservice. This apple slicing whiz can do a lot more at an affordable price. However, the first thing you notice is its blood red rustic charm. This is not your basic apple slicer as it can do a variety of other tricks, like peeling, coring, and slicing apples.
You can also use this product on pears and potatoes. One remarkable thing is you can use it to cut spiral potatoes that you can then deep fry to a crisp. Kids will go crazy over these delicious treats!
This product is made to last a long time. It has a vacuum base that tightens on the flip of a lever and holds surprisingly well. However, I feel a clamp might have been better suited for this massive, bulky product. When it is placed on some surfaces, the vacuum base just won’t hold, which makes the device wonky and awkward to use. If it does stick, then this product works really well, but if it doesn’t, it could be a problem for the user.
Another issue is that it is pretty difficult to transport and not easy to clean. The instructions say that it can only be washed by hand. Overall, this product is excellent for those who need a sturdy apple slicer that provides some rustic charm.
- It’s an eye-catching red color.
- Has a sturdy metal finish.
- Can peel apples, potatoes, and pears.
- It’s hard to clean – can only be washed by hand.
- Bulky and heavy.
Image from Amazon.com
If you need more slices out of your apple slicer, then the Prepworks Thin Apple Slicer might just be what the doctor ordered. This surprisingly little gadget is strong enough to slice through most apple sizes effortlessly. One nifty feature is that it has a cover which acts as a base when you are slicing an apple. This makes it easier to stabilize the apple while you press down the blades.
It is also a godsend for when you need thin apple slices. The blades can cut an apple into sixteen thin slices. This is absolutely perfect for the apple pies that I make, as thinner slices help to make my apple pies much more flavorful than regular thick slices. Sometimes these small changes make a whole world of difference to certain dishes.
However, the plastic body is a drawback to this otherwise excellent product. Although I have been using this product for a while now and encountered zero issues when it comes to durability, the plastic body makes me wonder if it will break after a year or two. The blades are sharp but will probably become blunt after a while and a lot of use.
In summary, this is a beautiful product that it is pretty affordable for those who do not like to splurge money on a device like an apple slicer. It’s highly recommended!
- Easy to clean, dishwasher safe.
- Can cut double compared to regular apple slicers (16 thin slices).
- Has a sharp stainless steel blade.
- Easy to store.
- Has a cover that can act as an apple holder.
- Cheap plastic build.
- Blades look a little thin and might become blunt easily.
Image from Amazon.com
Need a reasonably priced but heavy-duty apple slicer? Then it might be a good idea to check out the Precision Kitchenware Apple Peeler Corer and Slicer. With its strong steel black finish, this amazing kitchen workhouse can not only withstand tough jobs, but also looks great on the kitchen counter.
This heavy-duty apple slicer is meant for those who need slice a lot of apples. If you bake large quantities of apple pies or create a lot of apple crostini, then I would highly recommend getting this product as it can take a lot of beatings and is meant to last a lifetime.
The Precision Kitchenware Apple Peeler Corer and Slicer is not without its drawbacks, however. It is quite hard to transport if you want an apple slicer that you can travel with. It is not that easy to clean either, as it is not dishwasher safe.
However, if you need to peel and slice large batches of apples on a regular basis, then there is no better partner than the Precision Kitchenware Apple Slicer. Cooking for a crowd will be a breeze with this apple slicer in tow.
- Stunning black finish.
- Has an extremely sturdy steel build.
- Can cut and peel other ingredients, like onions, potatoes, and pears.
- Not safe for dishwasher use.
- Quite affordable for a heavy-duty product.
Image from Amazon.com
If you want to eat your apples as soon as you’ve sliced them, then this no fuss apple slicer might just be the perfect solution for you. What I like about this device is that the handles are a bit more elevated and curved than the others on this list, which makes it easier to handle.
It is also very easy to clean and store. Just pop it in the dishwasher, and you will be ready for another round of apple slicing. The blades are nice and sharp and effortlessly cut into apples and pears. But the best thing about the Calphalon Gadgets Easy Grip Apple Divider is that it is very cheap compared to the other options on this list.
The whole body is made of plastic, which is a bit of a downer, but it does have a sleek black finish that makes up for this. Overall, the Calphalon Gadgets Easy Grip Apple Divider is an excellent product for those who just want a fast way to slice apples. You can push down with ease and either snack away on your fresh apple slices or add them to a fresh bed of greens. These slices make a great topping to salads.
- Easy to clean and store (dishwasher safe).
- Oversized handles for easier handling.
- Has a cheap plastic build.
- Can only do eight slices.
Choosing the best apple slicers can be a tricky affair. It all boils down to what you intend to use your apple slicer for. As I do not need a heavy-duty apple slicer in my kitchen, I was able to cut my choice down to just three devices. In the end, I chose the Prepworks Thin Apple Slicer and over the Calphalon Gadgets Easy Grip Apple Divider solely because it can cut apples into eight more slices.
It was a tough choice and it took me some time to make my final decision, mainly because I liked the look of the Calphalon Gadgets Easy Grip Apple Divider and its oversized handles that make it easier to slice apples. It also looks a lot sturdier than the product I eventually chose.
In the end, it was my love of making apple pies that was the clincher, and the reason why I went for the Prepworks Thin Apple Slicer. To make the dish tastier, it is vital to slice your apples into thinner wedges, which is a task this device excels at. I also found that the base is a useful feature for slicing apples and pears. It was a tough decision, but ultimately I had to sacrifice a bit of convenience and quality just for my apple pies.
However, if you do not need thinner apple slices, then I would recommend getting the Calphalon Gadgets Easy Grip Apple Divider. It is cheap, fast, and extremely efficient.