If you’re talking about classic breakfasts, pancakes has been one of the good old favorites since forever! While some of us want to make it from scratch, others enjoy their pancakes the quick and easy way. Blame it on the new world!
How to make pancakes with pancake mix? You won’t really notice the difference between making them from scratch and using the ready mixes. You would need to be an expert to do so. Whichever way it is prepared, it always turns out delish and delightful. If you do not believe me, ask my kids!
How To Make Banana Pancakes
Do You Know What A Pancake Is?
It is a kind of funny question, as who doesn’t know how to make pancakes? However, I am just making sure you do, since we are going to make them after all!
Pancakes are flat and circle shaped cakes, that are best served thin and topped with your favorite fruits, glaze or syrup. Although they are still great and yummy without those extra toppings, they truly are a hit when garnished. Pancakes are made out of flour, eggs, milk and butter. This batter mix is fried using a skillet.
How To Make Banana Pancakes With Pancake Mix
There is numerous version of pancakes all around the world. It seems that every country has its own style. Not only that, pancakes are also one of the quickest selling fast foods anywhere! So, we can’t go wrong, right?
Ready? Let’s do this!
What Do You Need For This Tutorial?
- 3 bowls – 1 for the dry ingredients, 1 for the syrup mix and 1 for the egg mixture.
- FOR THE PANCAKES
- For the Maple Butter **
- 1 cup of pancake mix – just take your pick, the groceries have lots of brands to choose from.
- 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground cinnamon.
- 1/8 teaspoon of freshly ground nutmeg.
- 1 cup of milk.
- ½ cup of medium ripe bananas.
- 1 egg, beaten.
- 1 tablespoon of butter or oil (any oil will do).
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- 1 cup of medium ripe banana, sliced.
- Whipped cream.
**Recipe will be at the bottom of this article.
- ½ cup butter – room temperature or softened (margarine will also do).
- 1/3 cup syrup – pick your choice.
- ¼ teaspoon – freshly ground cinnamon.
Let’s start making it!
1. Mash your bananas and then set them aside. This is the best time to use overripe bananas on your counter top. They are best for cakes, as you can really taste the banana and they smell so good.
2. Mix all of the dry ingredients (the pancake mix, ground cinnamon, and ground nutmeg) in a bowl.
3. Combine the rest of the ingredients (the bananas, milk, and egg) in a separate bowl and whisk. Some use mixers here, especially when they do not bother mashing the bananas with a fork.
4. Combine the dry ingredients mix into the egg mixture. Whisk it properly until you can see that they are well combined.
Now you are ready to cook the pancakes!
5. Heat your skillet to 180 degrees C.
6. You can use a non-stick cooking spray for your pan. I used butter.
7. Once the butter is melted, pour the ½ cup of batter into the skillet.
8. Now that you have mixed your batter with banana, the result will be a heavier pancake. It will be a little bit hard to flip it over, so do it gently.
9. When both sides are golden brown and the air bubbles have all popped, you can scoop it out and put in your prepared batter.
10. Do the same to the rest of the batter until all of your hot pancakes are done.
11. Arrange the sliced banana on top, drizzle it with your maple butter and garnish with the whipping cream.
12. Serve and Enjoy!
How To Make The Maple Butter
I opted to use maple butter to glaze my hot pancakes in this recipe. You can choose any kind that suits you. Some try it with honey for the sweet taste. Later, you can experiment with the different syrups available to choose from.
- Prepare your mixer.
- Add your butter or margarine in a mixing bowl.
- Turn it on to high speed until it’s light and fluffy.
- Add in the syrup and freshly ground cinnamon bit by bit.
- Turn the speed to low until you see it’s all well combined.
- Pour it on top of your freshly cooked hot pancakes!
Here is a video on how to make the recipe. It uses water instead of milk, so just replace the water with milk, if you prefer.
Tips For Banana Pancakes
- Make small pancakes.
Small pancakes are faster to cook and easier to flip. This is a practical and convenient way to serve the kids too.
- The thinner the spatula, the easier it is to flip the pancakes.
- You can include add-ons, as you like. Try nuts, chocolate chips or favorite fruits.
- Leftover pancakes can be stored in the fridge. Warm them up in the microwave and serve as snacks for the kids.
- Let the batter rest for at least a few minutes before cooking it to allow an even hydration. It will also gives the gluten time to settle down.
- Serve it warm.
- Avoid overmixing the batter. The moment you mix all the ingredients together (wet and dry), the gluten starts to develop immediately. The more you mix, the more gluten develops. The result will be solid, hard and chewy pancakes.
- Do not pour the batter when it is not the right temperature yet. It will make your pancakes greasy.
- Avoid setting the heat too high. Pancakes are fast and easy to cook. Overheating the pan will quickly burn it.
- Do not flip it too soon. If possible, just flip it once. Trying to flip it several times will make it deflate and you will lose that wonderful fluffy taste.
- Try to check if your ready mix has sugar in it (some don’t have). It does little harm to add some sugar to your batter for a sweet taste.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, not the other way around. It is easier to mix that way.
- Do you want a fluffier pancake? Beat the egg white separately until it is fluffy and stiff. Add in the egg yolk to the rest of the ingredients as you would normally. Fold the egg whites into the batter right before cooking. Cook!
So it was easy to make, right? Share with us how you made banana pancakes with pancake mix! I wonder what toppings you chose?
Fruit and a garnish on top are the first things that come to my mind when talking about pancakes. My favorite way to eat them is with a scoop of ice cream and freshly cut strawberries on top. Play with the toppings and I can assure you that nothing will ever go wrong.
Did you enjoy making banana pancakes today? Hit the share button and let your friends enjoy it as well!