Many people nowadays are trying to be healthy and lose weight. But what if you were offered something fried for lunch? What if you were offered something that was refried? This might receive a big NO from health conscious people, but there is no reason why others cannot try it.
If you sometimes ask yourself, how long do refried beans last in the fridge, you are not alone. There are lots of people who do not know the exact answer. So, continue reading because we will be unveiling the answer later in this article.
Refried Beans As A Dish
Refried beans is a traditional kind of dish made up of mashed and cooked beans, which is a staple of Mexican cuisine, as well as Tex-Mex, even though every cuisine has a unique approach to making this dish.
When it comes to home-cooked meals, refried beans are usually offered as a side dish to accompany a much larger meal. In some cases, it is rolled in a tortilla to form a delicious bean burrito.
In the United States, refried beans are commonly made from pinto beans. In most Tex-Mex restaurants, they are mainly served as a side dish.
Refried beans have also become famous as a dip for corn tortilla chips and are a primary ingredient in pupusa, chimichanga, and tostada recipes. They are also a typical ingredient in layered dips, including nachos or 7-layer dip.
Do Refried Beans Spoil?
Not everyone is aware of the answer to the most commonly asked question, “How long do refried beans last in the fridge?”. Well, they can potentially go bad, especially if left in the fridge for more than four days. Always keep in mind that beans will lose their best quality if they are kept in the freezer for more than two months.
It is worth noting that storing refried beans in a can is not a good idea. It is much better to remove them from the can right after opening. Store them either in either a glass container or plastic container with an airtight cover.
If you want to store them in the freezer for a longer period of time, it is advisable to use a heavy-duty freezer bag. On the other hand, an unopened can of beans is good for two up to five years or until the stamped expiry date. Always discard cans that are dented or bulging.
Tips For Storing Refried Beans In The Fridge
Canned refried beans are usually smooth pinto beans, with or without added fat. They are packed in a 15.5-ounce can that yields approximately 3 ½ cup servings.
- Do not store them in an opened metal can; instead, refrigerate the refried beans in a plastic container or covered glass, right after opening.
- Freeze them inside covered airtight containers or inside heavy-duty freezer bags.
- The freezer should be of the highest quality, and take note that foods kept at 0 degrees Fahrenheit will keep safe indefinitely.
- Avoid either freezing or exposure to direct sunlight.
- Store the opened refried beans in a tightly covered non-metallic container and then refrigerate it, but make sure you use it within two days.
The Different Uses Of Refried Beans
Now we have given you the answer to the question about storing refried beans in the fridge, let us come to their many uses. Refried beans can be:
- Served as an accompaniment to the main dish and topped with grated cheese.
- Used as an alternative to meat and vegetables.
- Be part of a certain main dish – it features in different Mexican entrees, including chiles rellenos, bean tostados, bean burritos, or even nachos frijoles.
How To Prepare Refried Beans
Now you know how long refried beans last in the fridge, you will want to know how to prepare them. It’s easy, just follow the simple steps below:
- Heat the refried beans slowly at a low to medium temperature and stir them occasionally to make sure the heat is distributed evenly and they do not stick to the pan.
- You should never overheat beans, as they can burn and dry out immediately. To get the best results, serve them when still hot.
It is very important to know about the length of time you can keep refried beans in the fridge as it will stop your food from being spoiled. This way, you can be sure that you be totally satisfied with every dish that you make.
Watch this video to learn how to easily make refried beans:
If you have any questions or reactions to his post, do not hesitate to leave your comments. We will be glad to hear from you.