How do you want your sauce? Spicy or mild? Sauce plays a major role in most food worldwide. What is your favorite sauce? If you are someone who considers a meal to be incomplete without sauce, then you will surely enjoy learning all about Hawaiian Teriyaki Sauce or Aloha Teriyaki Sauce. Who knows, this sauce could become a regular part of your meal preparation.
Hawaiian Teriyaki Sauce
- What Is Hawaiian Teriyaki Sauce?
- How Do You Make Hawaiian Teriyaki Sauce?
- STEP #1 – PREPARE YOUR INGREDIENTS
- STEP #2
- STEP #3
- What Are The Different Uses Of Hawaiian Teriyaki Sauce?
- Table Sauce or Dip
- Basting Sauce
- What Are The Different Hawaiian Teriyaki Sauces That You Can Buy From The Market?
- Which Common Recipes Use Hawaiian Teriyaki Sauce?
- Hawaiian Beef Teriyaki
- Hawaiian Teriyaki Salmon
- Hawaiian Teriyaki Stir-Fry Vegetables Gluten-Free
What Is Hawaiian Teriyaki Sauce?
Originally from Hawaii, teriyaki sauce is a well-known sauce that is found in every Japanese restaurant in the Western world. However, you will be surprised to learn that it does not even feature on the menu in Japan, as it is more American than Japanese.
Teriyaki means grilled marinated meat in Japanese. During the Japanese migration to Hawaii, the immigrants made a marinade that used pineapple juice mixed with soy sauce, and Teriyaki sauce was born!
How Do You Make Hawaiian Teriyaki Sauce?
Here is a video to enjoy, which shows you how to make Hawaiian teriyaki sauce:
STEP #1 – PREPARE YOUR INGREDIENTS
- 1 cup of soy sauce.
- ¾ cup of water.
- ¼ teaspoon of grated ginger.
- ¼ teaspoon of grated garlic.
- 1 ½ cup of brown sugar.
- Corn starch (optional).
- ¼ Mirin sake (rice wine).
- ¼ cup of sugar or honey.
Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan and bring it to the boil.
Let it chill in the fridge and then store. Use the sauce when you need it.
This recipe is a type of marinade that you can use with pork, beef or chicken. It makes 2 ½ cups of Hawaiian teriyaki sauce marinade.
What Are The Different Uses Of Hawaiian Teriyaki Sauce?
Teriyaki sauce is popular as a marinade for grilled or barbecued meats. Salmon is also great with this marinade.
A marinade is a kind of sauce that you soak meat in before cooking. It gives the meat more flavor and softens it at the same time, making it both delicious and faster to cook.
How to marinate meat?
1. Select some cutlets that you like, such as pork, chicken, beef or fish. Pork and salmon are the best to marinate.
- There are meats that you do not need to marinate, like T-bone and rib-eye steaks and other expensive quality cuts.
2. Make a cut into the meat just enough to let the marinade penetrate through it faster. It slowly softens the meat by breaking down the muscles and tissues.
- The deeper the marinade can penetrate, the tastier the meat will become.
3. Mix all of the marinade’s ingredients. You can choose how you want the meat to taste – salty, sweet, spicy, barbecue flavor or whatever else you prefer.
4. Place the meat in a container and pour in the marinade. Any container will do. Make sure the meat is coated all over.
- If you are in a hurry, you can use tenderizers on the meat before putting it in the marinade. This will let the marinade penetrate into the meat faster.
5. Refrigerate the meat and marinate it inside a tight container for a day or two. The meat will then be ready for cooking.
Here is a video that shows you a tutorial on how to marinate your meat correctly:
Condiments give extra flavor to the dish, especially during cooking. Teriyaki sauce is a familiar condiment in every kitchen.
Table Sauce or Dip
Due it its savory taste, Hawaiian teriyaki sauce is used as a table sauce or dip that adds flavor to food.
It is commonly used in restaurants, as well as many households, and is the best dip for fried foods.
Commonly used for barbecues and grills, Hawaiian Teriyaki Sauce is great for basting as it makes the meat more flavorsome while it’s cooking. Brush or drizzle the sauce on the surface of the meat while it is being cooked on the grill or being smoked to enhance the flavor.
Here is a video on basting a turkey:
What Are The Different Hawaiian Teriyaki Sauces That You Can Buy From The Market?
There are many different brands of this sauce. You can choose from barbecue sauce, marinade, baste and glaze. Make sure that you pick the right one for your needs.
Which Common Recipes Use Hawaiian Teriyaki Sauce?
Since Hawaiian teriyaki sauce is a favorite for marinating and glazing grilled meat, let us choose one a simply yummy, old time favorite recipe.
Hawaiian Beef Teriyaki
Cut the sirloin steak into portions, and after marinating it for some time, grill it. Hawaiian teriyaki sauce is used for both the marinating and the basting.
Here is a video showing you how to do it:
Hawaiian Teriyaki Salmon
This recipe is very popular in Hawaii, where it is best used to marinate and baste salmon fillets. Instead of grilling, this recipe uses baking. This meal is super healthy and delish.
Here is a video showing you how to cook this recipe:
Hawaiian Teriyaki Stir-Fry Vegetables Gluten-Free
Now you have learned to cook beef and the salmon, you need to learn to cook the veggies too! These Hawaiian Japanese Teriyaki Vegetables are cooked by using the top of the stove.
Here is a video on how this is done correctly:
You can now include Hawaiian teriyaki sauce as a regular in your kitchen. It’s always useful and you can bring it on picnics, use it for barbecues, and grab it when you want to cook a favorite recipe at the weekend. Or you can just put it on the table and use it as a dip.
If you have a recipe that uses Hawaiian teriyaki sauce, please share it with us!