Oranges are one of best fruits for juicing. Compared to other fruits used for juicing, they are cheap and available throughout the year. Juicing is the easiest way to enjoy the fruit and at the same time absorb its nutritional benefits without eating it.
Did you know that we can classify oranges into different categories? There are oranges that are best for cooking, snacks, and oranges best for juicing.
It is obvious that aside from the snacking and cooking, juicing is the next most popular way to consume oranges. Every day, people of all ages drink orange juice.
Today, we will focus on the kind of oranges that are best for juicing.
These are very common in the market and easy to spot. As the name suggests, there is a navel-like appearance at the bottom of the fruit. When you open it up, there is another small orange inside the big orange.
This type is large, seedless, sweet and cheap. Best of all, it is available the whole year round and is good for juicing, cooking and snacks. Needless to say, it is labeled as the sweetest orange of all.
If we are looking for oranges that are the best for commercial purposes, it is the Valencia. Named after the city in Spain, some people eat it as a snack, or make sauce or syrup out of it, but it’s more suitable and widely used for juicing.
Unlike Navel orange, it has a few seeds in it and takes longer to grow. However, the harvest is twice a year, which is why they are well known for being available, even off-season.
This hybrid orange is a combination of a standard orange and a mandarin. The smallest member of the mandarin family, it is seedless. The peel is smooth, shiny and very orange in color. You can use it for cooking, snacks, and juicing.
Since these oranges are extra juicy, they are the best choice for juicing, sauces, preserves, and dressings. If you are looking for a fruit that blends well with salad and other fruits, then choose this type of orange. The only downside is you can’t always find it in the market.
This kind of orange is sweet and juicy, and its color is dark red. This indicates the presence of anthocyanin, which means that blood oranges contain a higher level of antioxidants than the other varieties.
Since blood oranges are sweet and juicy, it is a superb choice for newly squeezed juice. It’s also is less acidic. The segments can be mixed with salads, ice creams, and jellies.
The 3 kinds of red oranges are:
Years ago, it was difficult to find red oranges, but they are now exported worldwide.
This is a combination of pomelo and mandarin oranges. There are different varieties of Tangelo but they are all generally sweet and juicy. Since it is a crossbreed of pomelo, the sizes can differ from the size of a mandarin orange to that of a grapefruit.
Since it is easy for you to take off their peel, it is stress-free to eat. Or you can juice them.
The popular varieties of Tangelo include:
- Honeybell: Which is sweet, juicy and a little bit of tart.
- Orlando: A little bit sweet with a tart taste and fewer seeds.
These are a mandarin variety of orange. They have a sweet tasting texture, fewer seeds, are easy to peel and have very juicy fruit pulps.
With all these qualities, Satsumas are great for making juice, jams, and jellies.
This is a crossbreed between two kinds of Navel. It is bright in color and smooth, but the inside is surprisingly different. The color of its flesh is pinkish and it tastes more like red berries than orange.
These have a lighter color and are a little bit tart compared to other oranges. Tangerines have high synephrine (bitter orange) content. Synephrine is popularly used in a dietary supplement to help people lose weight.
There are different varieties of tangerines, but they generally have fewer seeds inside them and are easy to peel. This type looks almost the same as Clementine oranges, so try to read the label before you buy them.
The above types of oranges were chosen as the best in the juicing category. We all know that orange juice is a drink that you can enjoy at any time of the day, including breakfast. It is great for snacks and cools you down, especially during the summer. Loving orange juice is great as it offers us a lot of health benefits.
Health Benefits Of Juicing An Orange
- Juicing is a convenient and rewarding way to consume oranges without eating them. It is a fast, easy way to give ourselves the vitamin C we need in our diet, as well as other nutrients.
- Being juicy in nature, oranges are an excellent choice for juicing. They are low in calories, high in antioxidants and help to manage high blood pressure, diabetes, and cancer.
- Freshly squeezed orange juice also maintains a healthy thyroid and your adrenal functions. It contains an equal level of natural sugars that boost a healthy metabolic rate.
- Fresh orange juice contains an abundance of beneficial enzymes, magnesium, potassium and much more!
It better to drink freshly squeezed orange juice than buy the kind that is sold in bottles and packs. Bottled juice is highly concentrated and contains more calories and sucrose compared to fresh orange juice.
It may also be bad for you, since the pasteurization process reduces the valuable enzymes in it. Bottled juice is also loaded with artificial flavors and colorings that are not declared on the label.
- Manual Juicing: Squeeze the juice out of the pulps by using your bare hands.
- Using a food processor, juicer or blender: All of these kitchen devices make juicing an easy, fast and convenient process. Just peel the oranges, drop them inside and pulse!
- Peels contains lots of nutrients and antioxidants. You can include it in juicing if you use Clementine and other small types of oranges. But include peel in moderation as it can cause indigestion.
- You can also blend your orange juice with other fruit and vegetables for a more diverse flavor and consistency.
Do you know what to buy to make orange juice now? All of the orange types we’ve mentioned above are perfect for juicing. Now you know about all of these different kinds of oranges, you will be able to choose from a wide variety without making a mistake. And, of course, if one type is unavailable, you can always opt for the next best choice.
This article will help you to make better quality orange juice quickly and efficiently. Even better, you’ll have the satisfaction of knowing that it will benefit your health too. If this has been helpful to you, share it with everyone!